Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Friday, June 09, 2006


Always Wear Your World Cup

After another four years, it's time for another World Cup. I probably wouldn't even know about it, but it's all anyone can talk about around here. I might be heading over to the German permanent mission to check out Germany's match against Costa Rica. The US won't play until Monday and it should be fun to follow the team--it's supposed to be the best US team ever assembled.

I think I'll be more interested in the audience behavior than I will be with the games. Jeremy Schaap presented a crazy story on Sportscenter the other day about racism in soccer/football. In some matches, fans have been known to throw bananas on the field to provoke black players; they've shouted racial slurs at other players; and some bring in posters of swastikas and do the Nazi salute. Let's hope FIFA can take the proper action if things like that start to occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment